During the last decade of Ms. Hasina’s tenure as Prime Minister, high-level Bangladesh-India engagement has intensified.
Relevance : GS Paper II (Indian Economy)
[1200 words reduced to 200]
There has been victory of Sheikh Hasina in Bangladesh elections.
India-Bangladesh Relations In Recent Times
- Bangladesh has emerged as a key interlocutor in India’s ‘Act East Policy’.
- In Bangladesh, domestic political consensus, has emerged in favour of close ties with India.
- Bangladesh denied support to Indian insurgent groups.
- Bangladesh is India’s largest trading partner in South Asia .
- The Padma multipurpose bridge will enhance connectivity with India.
- Waterways are also being revived to reduce the cost of trade.
- Bangladesh has provided for faster Internet connectivity in India’s northeastern States.
- India has become a partner in Bangladesh’s nuclear power programme.
- An SEZ in Bangladesh for Indian manufacturing companies has been mooted.
- Indian investment in Bangladesh has reached $3 billion.
- India has provided/committed Bangladesh credit and grants reaching $8 billion.
- The visa regime has been liberalised and number of visas increased.
- Bangladesh has taken effective steps against those inspired by the Islamic State.
- Adverse balance of trade; Bangladeshi exports have plateaued.
- Islamist organisations have been breeding grounds in Bangladesh.
- Rohingya issue has led to setbacks in India-Bangladesh ties..
- Issue of the illegal migration due to NRC in Assam.
- Sharing of river waters will remain a challenge.
- China’s footprint has grown in Bangladesh.