- Launched on GSLV-MKIII
- Placed in geo-synchronous transfer orbit
- Took 17 minutes to reach orbit
- Weighs 3423 kg
- It will provide communication services to northeast and Jammu & Kashmir
- It carries Ku/Ka band transponders
- Heaviest rocket of ISRO
- Can carry satellites weighing around 4000kg in Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit ( GTO)
- Can carry satellites weighing around 4000kg in Low Earth Orbit ( GTO)
- It carries cryogenic C25 engine
- It is a three-stage rocket: solid, liquid and cryogenic
- Cryogenic stage is much more efficient than solid and liquid stages
- It will also be used in Chandrayan-2 mission and India’s first human space flight
Konark Sun Temple
- Located in Odisha
- Built in 13th century
- Consists of a solar chariot and 12 pairs of wheels
- Is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- 40% of the artistic stone carvings of the temple have been replaced by ASI with plain stones, Odisha has complained.
- UNESCO guidelines on restoration of World Heritage Sites mandate that when an original stone carving is lost, it cannot be replicated.
MFN ( Most Favoured Nation) status
- As per WTO rule, every member of WTO is required to this status to other member countries.
- India has already granted MFN status to all WTO members including Pakistan.
- Under MFN status, a WTO member country is obliged to treat other trading nations in a non-discriminatory manner, especially with regard to customs duty and other levies.
- Pakistan has still not granted MFN status to India. Pakistan allows only 137 products to be exported from India through the Wagah Border land route.
- Southern states- Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh account for a share of 46% of total remittances that India receives.
- If Maharashtra is included, the 5 states account for a share of 59 %.
- India receives remittances of $69 billion from abroad.
- Kerala receives highest remittances followed by Maharashtra.
- India is the top recipient of remittances in the world.
- More than 80% of total remittances received by India originated from 7 countries-US, UK, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait and Oman.
- Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries account for more than 50% of the remittances.
- After skilled and semi-skilled workers, India diaspora is the second largest contributor of remittances.
- More than half of the remittances received by India are used for family maintenance( consumption).
- Rupee Drawing Arrangement ( RDA) is the most preferred mode of receiving remittances. The second most popular channel is SWIFT.
- RDA enables tie-up between banks and non-resident exchange houses for opening and maintaining their vostro accounts.
- The Kilogram is to be redefined.
- Now, Kilogram will be defined in terms of Planck’s constant.
- At present, it is defined by a platinum-iridium cylinder.
RCEP( Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership )
- RCEP meeting was held in Singapore recently.
- Involves 10 ASEAN members.
- Also involves non-ASEAN members- India, China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.