Q. Consider the following statements about the ground water consumption in India:
1. The largest consumer of ground water in India consumes about 90% of the total groundwater consumption.
2. Household sector is the largest consumer of groundwater in India.
3. Now, industries, agriculture as well as individual households will have to pay a water conservation fee.
Select the correct statement/s using the code given below:
a) 1 only
b) 1 and 2 only
c) 2 and 3 only
d) 1 and 3 only
a) 1 only
- In India, extracted groundwater is mainly used for irrigation and accounts for about 90% of the annual groundwater extraction.
- Agriculture sector is the largest consumer of groundwater in the country.
- In a bid to promote conservation of groundwater, the Central Ground Water Authority (CGWA) has notified a water conservation fee (WCF) that industries will need to pay on groundwater extraction starting from June’19. Individual households that draw groundwater using a delivery pipe of a greater than 1” diameter, too, will need to pay a WCF. However, the agriculture sector will be exempt from the fees.