Relevance – Polity & Governance
700 words reduced to 100
Parliamentary disruption which was an exception earlier, have become the new normal.
The Role of the Presiding Officers
- During this session the presiding officers showed firmness.
- Disrupting MPs were suspended from the proceedings of Parliament.
- Presiding officers also changed rules to better deal with disruptions
The Nature of Disruptions
- Disorders arise due to lack of opportunities to make one’s
- Deliberate disturbances for publicity or for political motives.
Loss due to Disruptions
- Significant loss of scheduled time.
- Derailment of the legislative agenda.
- Lesser number of bills being passed.
- Non-reference of bills to parliamentary committees.
- No time for discussions on any national issues.
Our MPs have fallen short of their constitutional duty.