Relevance : GS Paper II ( International Relations)
In the wake of the Pulwama attack , the government has iterated once again its plan for the “diplomatic isolation” of Pakistan.
What should India do?
- India should try to repackage its idea of “isolating Pakistan” into ‘coalition against terrorism emanating from Pakistan’.
- India must focus on the case against Masood Azhar.
- India should use diplomatic leverage to shut down JeM and LeT.
- India must press the U.S. to place travel sanctions on specific entities in the Pakistani military.
- India should talk with Riyadh to withhold any funds that may trickle down to JeM and LeT.
- India must ask China for action against any entities dealing with the JeM in Pakistan.
- India must look to its own actions on the diplomatic front with Pakistan. Calling off a formal dialogue process has clearly yielded no desired outcome.
Dialogue is a more effective way of impressing India’s determination to root out terrorism than the present on-again, off-again policy.