GS- 2nd Paper
Topic- Development processes and the development industry —the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
‘India International Cooperatives Trade Fair (IICTF)’
The first ever ‘India International Cooperatives Trade Fair’ (IICTF) was inaugurated by the Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers’ at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
- ‘India International Cooperatives Trade Fair’ (IICTF) is unique initiative that provides single platform to farmers, artisans & other members of cooperatives directly to global trade arena.
- It is conceived as a major platform to promote exports of Indian cooperative produce and is packed with exhibitions, Business to Business meetings, conferences, cultural programmes etc.
- IICTF is aimed at the vision and goal of doubling farmers’ income by promoting cooperative-to-cooperative trade within India & abroad.
- To promote exports of key agriculture commodities and products leading to enhanced rural and farm prosperity.
- This IICTF initiative is part of Agriculture Export Policy (AEP) 2018.
- Agriculture Export Policy 2018 aims at doubling agriculture export and integrating Indian farmers and agriculture products with global value chains.
- As per AEP 2018, the Cooperative sector has big role to play in doubling agriculture exports from present $30 billion to $60 billion by 2022.
Organisers and Participants
- The Fair is jointly organised by National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) in association with the Bangkok based international organization Network for the Development of Agricultural Cooperatives (NEDAC).
- 3 Central Ministries, 4 State Governments and several apex level Indian cooperative organizations.
Key Initiative at IICTF
YuvaSahakar-Cooperative Enterprise Support and Innovation Scheme 2019
- National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) has formulated ‘YuvaSahakar-Cooperative Enterprise Support and Innovation Scheme 2019’.
- It is in line with Government’s focus on programmes like Start-up India and Stand-up India aimed at young entrepreneurs with new and innovative ideas.
- Sahakar Bharati, launched their brand ‘Simply desi’ which will provide good marketing and branding opportunities for cooperatives.
- Sahakar Bharati is the single largest organisation focusing on enlightening masses about the benefit of cooperative movement.
- IICTF offers a huge opportunity for the industry and business houses from India and abroad to build alliances, business networking, product sourcing.
‘The order of the Green Crescent’
India and Comoros sign MoUs on Defence Cooperation, health, culture and arts.
- The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu visited to Comoros and Sierra Leone by declaring that India accorded highest priority to deepening its engagements with African nations.
- India and Comoros today signed 6 MoUs including one on defence cooperation.
- The Comorian President conferred the ‘Order of the Green Crescent’ on the Vice President of India.
- ‘Order of the Green Crescent’ is the highest civilian honour of the Union of Comoros.
India – Bangladesh Navies Undertake Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) in North Bay of Bengal.
- The second edition of Indian Navy(IN) –Bangladesh Navy(BN) Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) commenced in Northern Bay of Bengal.
- The two-day CORPAT will be followed by the maiden edition of IN-BN Bilateral Exercise at Visakhapatnam.
- The IN-BN CORPAT was commenced in 2018.
- It is aimed at upgrading to a bilateral exercise with the navies engaging in seamanship evolutions, flying exercises with integral helicopters and maritime patrol aircraft at sea.
- Exercises entailing the development of mutual communication and sharing of best practices would also be undertaken, adding a new dimension to the Indo – Bangladesh maritime relations.
- India and Bangladesh share a common territorial boundary of over 4000 km and a maritime boundary.
- Navies of both the counties aim to practice and hone their mutual cooperation whilst patrolling near the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) during the current edition of CORPAT.
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare gives away Kayakalp awards to Public and Private Health Facilities for high standards of sanitation and hygiene.
- The Kayakalp Award was instituted as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan on 15th May 2015.
- The Kayakalp award was envisioned as a national initiative to recognize and felicitate public health facilities that demonstrate high levels of cleanliness, hygiene and infection control measure on promoting cleanliness in public spaces.
- Kayakalp has played a pivotal role in reinstating and reconfirming trust and confidence of the community in public health facilities.
- Under the Central Government Hospitals A category, the first prize of Rs. 3 crore was given to the All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Delhi.
- JIPMER, Puducherry was judged as the runner-up in this category with Rs. 1.5 crore prize money,
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER),Chandigarh and Safdarjung Hospital, Delhi won the Commendation Award of Rs. 50 Lakh each.
- In the group B category, the winner was VBCH, Silvassa winning Rs. 2 crore,
- AIIMS Bhubaneswar as the runner-up winning Rs. 1 crore.
- NEIGRIHMS, Shillong, LGBRIMH, Tezpur and AIIMS, Bhopal each won Rs. 50 lakhs as Commendation Award.
- Over the period, the number of facilities under Kayakalp rose from 750 health facilities in 2015-16 to more than 26000 facilities in 2018-19.
Mobile App, “mHariyali” Launched for ‘Environment Protection in Government Colonies’ Website.
- Minister of State(I/c) for Housing & Urban Affairs launching the mobile app, “mHariyali,”
- The app is aimed to encourage Public engagement in planting trees and other such Green drives.
- The App provides for automatic geo-tagging of plants.
- This app will also enable nodal officers to periodically monitor the plantation. The App is user friendly and works on any android mobile phone.
SARAS Aajeevika Mela
The Ministry of Rural Development is organising SARAS Aajeevika Mela at India Gate Lawns in October.
About SARAS Aajeevika Mela
- SARAS Aajeevika Mela is an initiative by the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM).
- The Mela is organised by the marketing arm of the Ministry, Council for Advancement of People’s Action and Rural Technology (CAPART).
- To bring the rural women Self Help Groups (SHGs) formed with support of DAY-NRLM, under one platform to show-case their skills, sell their products and help them build linkages with bulk buyers.
- Through participation in SARAS Aajeevika Mela, these rural SHG women get vital national level exposure to understand the demand and taste of urban customers.