Relevance : GS Paper II (Polity and Governance)
[750 words summarized to 100]
Human rights situation in India
- deteriorating climate in relation to human rights.
- Extrajudicial killings in Uttar Pradesh.
- first ever UN report on human rights violations in Kashmir
- Assam National Register of Citizens process
- online hate speech
- the killing of journalist Gauri Lankesh,
- jailing of human rights defenders,
- deportation of Rohingya refugees,
- excessive police response to protests
- record of upholding human rights is abysmal; India must do better.
- welfare and rights of individuals within the purview of the state.
The respect of the rights of individuals must be non-negotiable.