Relevance : GS Paper II
Theme of the Article
There is no alternative to strengthening primary health care.
Why has this Issue Cropped Up?
The National Health Policy (NHP) 2017 advocated allocating resources of up to two-thirds or more to primary care.
Is India on the Path of Providing Primary Health Care?
- The current expenditure outlay is less than half of the estimated requirement.
- The present rate of building health and wellness centres is inadequate.
- NHM’s share in the health budget fell to 50% in 2019.
- There is a shortage of PHCs and sub-health centres .
- Numerous primary-level facilities lack basic facilities such as toilets.
- There is a staggering shortage of medical and paramedical staff.
Significance of Primary Health Care
- There is no alternative to strengthening primary health care.
- It’s role shall also be critical in the success of the PMJAY insurance scheme.
Without Primary Health Care, the ninth dimension (‘Healthy India’) of “Vision 2030” will remain unfulfilled