Relevance : GS Paper II (International Relations)
[500 words reduced to 100]
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s presence at Maldives President Ibrahim Solih’s hints to revival of Male – New Delhi relations.
- Solih’s predecessor, Yameen, had turned increasingly dictatorial and had deepened relations with China.
- China devoted considerable political and economic resources to influence Maldives.
- Maldives has sought India’s assistance to develop infrastructure and wants to deepen economic cooperation. Further, the new govt has decided to pull out of the FTA with China.
- India should not assume that Maldives has become “pro-India” and return to the old ways of doing business in Male.
- India must devote political attention and economic resources to transform the bilateral relationship into a genuine Indian Ocean partnership.