The Afghan government would like to see India-China economic cooperation in Afghanistan that could boost progress and enhance human security
Relevance : GS Paper II (International Relation)
[900 words reduced to 200]
The likelihood of an American pull-out from Afghanistan raises the spectre of instability in Afghanistan, South and Central Asia..
Regional powers and Afghanistan
- China has a great interest in its stability.
- China would be adversely affected by war and chaos.
- China has gained considerable economic and diplomatic influence in Afghanistan.
- It is giving military aid to Afghanistan.
- It has invested in projects such as mining, roads and railways.
- It gave Afghanistan. observer status in the SCO.
- India supports China’s role in Afghanistan.
- India has certainly contributed much ‘soft power’.
- It assisted in building the National Assembly of Afghanistan.
- Indian has provided aid up to $3 billion.
- But India has been absent from regional diplomacy necessary to stabilise Afghanistan.
India- China cooperation in Afghanistan
- It could boost progress and enhance human security.
- India and China started a joint training project for Afghan diplomats.
- They could expand cooperation by facilitating Afghanistan’s full membership of the SCO.
- India and China should work together to build a secure Afghanistan.