Relevance : GS Paper II ( International Relations)
The Saudi Crown Prince visit highlighted the complexities in bilateral ties.
Progress of India-Saudi relations
- They have tried to ‘de-hyphenate’ their relations from ties between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.
- Their relations were strengthened into a strategic partnership in 2010 after Riyadh Declaration.
The Outcomes of the Visit
- Announcement were made for measures to:
- upgrade the defence partnership,
- create a “Strategic Partnership Council”
- institute regular talks between the two national security advisers
- Saudi Arabia has expressed its interest in investing in infrastructure projects
- Saudi agreed to insert an extra clause calling on states to renounce the “use of terrorism as an instrument of state policy”.
- It acknowledged that disputes between India and Pakistan must be resolved bilaterally.
- It agreed to increase Haj quotas and release 850 Indians from Saudi jails.