Relevance : GS Paper III
Why has this Issue Cropped Up?
The Congress party has promised NYAY scheme to transfer ₹6,000 a month to poor households.
Hurdles in Implementation
- Fiscal expenditure would be ₹3.6 lakh crore.
- Problem of authentic identification of the poor.
- NYAY can fall short as other programmes have
Not an Unsound Idea
- It will help in addressing health, education and indebtedness needs.
- Landless workers, marginal farmers, unemployed youth would be benefitted.
- It can help spur demand and consumption in rural areas in particular.
- Direct income support in some states have helped reduce agrarian crises.
- PM-KISAN Yojana is a limited version of income transfer.
Schemes like NYAY can only be one among several prudent welfare policies.