Relevance : GS Paper II (Education)
[430 words summarised to 120]
What ASER Report says
- Only 44% of students in Class 5 could read a text meant for Class 2.
- Some states such as Kerala did much better in arithmetics compared to states such as Uttar Pradesh.
- Students were not even able to recognise letters appropriate for their class.
- The Centre should institute a review mechanism involving all States.
- A public consultation on learning outcomes, can help.
- The RTI Act needs a supportive framework to cater to learners from different backgrounds.
- Innovation in schools and incentivising good outcomes can help. For example, bonus pay to teachers.
The solutions may lie in multiple approaches. However, governments are not doing their duty.