The PM’s immediate political motivation may be seen as part of the BJP’s strategy to claim the non-Nehruvian legacy of the Indian National Congress.
Relevance : GS Paper II
(International Relations and Internal Security)
Recently, PM visited the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Historical significance of Andaman Islands
- They were the site of contestation between European colonial powers.
- Britain occupied the islands at the end of the 18th century.
- After the Second World War, the Andamans became marginal to the new geopolitics.
Present geopolitical significance of Andaman Islands
Today as a rising China projects its power into the Indian Ocean, regional balance would necessarily involve the development of the Andamans.
- Cooperation between India and its major strategic partners required over Andamans.
- Promoting economic development, integration with the mainland, strengthening military infrastructure, regional connectivity of Andamans.
- Preserving the pristine environment of the Andamans and protecting its vulnerable indigenous populations.