Relevance : GS Paper II
With the dissolution of Parliament, several crucial social bills lapsed.
The problematic social bills
- Transgender Bill, Surrogacy Bill, and the Trafficking Bill.
- Consultation with impacted communities was eschewed.
- Transgender Bill did away with the right to self-determination of gender identity.
- Surrogacy Bill excluded LGBT individuals from its ambit, imposed discriminatory age restrictions
- Trafficking Bill criminalized begging without providing any manner of effective alternatives.
Common factors between these bills
- Dealt with intimate subjects such as personal dignity.
- Concerned with vulnerable and marginalized sections of society.
- Drafted without consulting with members of the impacted communities.
- Extended the state’s control and domination.
- Met by widespread protests from the communities themselves.
What lies ahead?
- Voices of those who will be directly impacted should be listened to.
- A sustained public movement around these issues is needed.