Relevance : GS Paper II
Why has this Issue Cropped Up?
Supreme Court stayed its order on the eviction of forest dwellers.
Impact of the Order
- The stay offers only a temporary relief.
- It provides an opportunity to protect both nature and social justice.
Issues with Eviction
- Lack of studies that quantify the deforestation caused by marginalized communities.
- Concerns about the rejection process, outdated forest maps, etc.
- Large companies are not treated strictly despite several violations .
- Conservation actions must be based on the same principles as social justice.
- Restriction of human activities must not result in injustice to marginalized.
- District administrations must protect forest dwellers from exploitation.
- Forest diversion by the powerful should not remain unchecked.
Conservationists should stand up for the welfare of both wildlife and forest dwellers.