Category: Defence & Security
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation successfully tested-fired
- Pinaka is an indigenously developed guided rocket system.
Boeing 737 MAX 8
- DGCA bars Boeing 737 MAX 8 after global alarm.
- SpiceJet is the only Indian airline that operates Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft.
- The move came after European aviation regulator EASA, the U.K, France, Germany, Australia and Singapore joined a growing number of countries that have barred the aircraft from their airspace following crash of an Ethiopian Airlines plane
- Markets regulator SEBI withdrew the 20% limit on investments by Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs) in corporate bonds of an entity.
- In June last year, SEBI had mandated that no FPI shall have an exposure of more than 20% of its corporate bond portfolio to a single corporate.
- Human impacts on species occur across 84% of the earth’s surface.
- India ranks 16th in such human impacts, with 35 species impacted on average.
- Malaysia ranks first among the countries with the highest number of impacted species (125).
- Southeast Asian tropical forests — including those in India’s Western Ghats, Himalayas and north-east — are among the ‘hotspots’ of threatened species.
- However, these areas are also ‘cool-spots’.
- Cool-spots are the world’s last refuges where high numbers of threatened species still persist.
- Cool-spots could be the result of protection or because of intact habitat.
- A starry dwarf frog has been discovered in Kerala.
- It is a nocturnal amphibian that lives under leaf litter on a mountaintop in Kerala’s Wayanad.
- It has been named the Astrobatrachus kurichiyana.
- It is not only a new species but different enough to be assigned to a new ‘subfamily’.
- The species is at least 60 million years old.